- 1 box Banza Ziti
- 1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 celery stalk roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 medium onion roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 pound ground sirloin
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red or white wine
- 24 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Place carrots, celery, garlic and onion in a food processor. Pulse until all the vegetables become a paste.
- Heat a large skillet to a medium heat. Add olive oil. Add vegetables paste and salt.
- Cook until veggies are softened, about five minutes.
- Add sirloin, pork and mushrooms. Cook until meat is browned and cooked through, making sure to break it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon as you go. (You want the meat to be in a small pieces as possible.) Season with a little bit of salt.
- Add tomato paste. Stir into veggie and meat. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add wine, cook until reduced, about one minute.
- Add in crushed tomatoes and sugar. Season with salt.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 30-45 minutes. If sauce reduces too much, add 1/2 cup water at a time.
- After 45 minutes the sauce should be thick and reduced.
- Cook ziti according to package directions.
- Serve pasta with sauce. Garnish with parmesan cheese.