Butternut Squash Lasagna
GOOD FOR: A showstopping contribution to Friendsgiving, the third date that you really want to have go right, the birthday dinner Grandma deserves.
- 1 box Banza Lasagna
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded, cut into 1/2 in. cubes (about 6 cups)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan, finely grated, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup basil leaves, torn
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F. Heat 2 Tbsp. of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, season with salt, and cook until golden brown and softened, ~8 - 10 mins.
- Add garlic and red pepper to onion, stirring until fragrant and garlic is softened, ~2 mins. Add squash and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until squash is tender, ~12 - 15 mins.
- Add 1 cup Parmesan to squash mixture and then pur̩e sauce until smooth with an immersion blender. If you don't have an immersion blender, use the back of a spoon to break down large pieces of butternut squash. It will be more rustic but just as delicious.
- Pour 1 cup squash pur̩e into a 9 x 13 in. banking dish and spread to edges. Add a layer of noodles, then pour remaining sauce over. Repeat layers twice more. Top with squash mixture, the remaining Parmesan, and the walnuts. Cover with foil and bake 45 mins. Top with torn basil leaves.
TIP: To make this recipe vegan, sub in your favorite vegan cheeses and make a vegan 'alfredo' sauce: saut̩ a chopped clove of garlic in 4 tbsp olive oil until golden brown, add 4 tbsp GF flour, and cook until dry. Add 3 cups of almond milk and whisk until creamy.