- 1 box Banza shells
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large onion, sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons gluten free flour
- 2 cups hot whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- 8 ounces shredded gouda cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Season with salt. It should taste like the sea. Cook pasta until aldente.
- In a medium skillet, set over a medium-low heat, add one tablespoon butter. Melt and add onions and ¼ teaspoon salt. Stir to combine. Cook onions until caramelized and brown, stirring occasionally. It should take 15-20 minutes.
- In another medium saucepan, melt remaining butter and olive oil over a medium heat. Add flour, whisk and cook for one minute. Slowly whisk in hot milk, remaining salt, and remaining cheese. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until thickened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low, and slowly stir in shredded cheese. Add cooked pasta and caramelized onions. Season to taste with salt and pepper.