Cavatappi with Roasted Garlic Cashew Cream
Cook Time: 40 MINUTES
Serves: 2 to 4 PEOPLE
- 1 whole head of garlic, bottom chopped off so the cloves are exposed but the head of garlic is still generally in one piece and the outer skins are still around the majority of the cloves.
- Olive oil
- ½ cup cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Califia Farms Unsweetened Almondmilk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 cup frozen and thawed artichoke hearts, cut into quarters and heated in the microwave or in a small pan with a little olive oil.
- 3 big handfuls of fresh baby spinach
- 1 box Banza Cavatappi
- Fresh ground black pepper, to serve
- Red pepper flakes, to serve
- Heat the oven to 400F. Start soaking the cashews if you haven't already. Drizzle a small piece of aluminum foil with olive oil and place the head of garlic cut-side-down on it and wrap it into a small parcel. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the cloves are soft and fragrant. Let it cool before handling.
- In a food processor or blender combine soaked and drained cashews, almond milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, and all of the roasted garlic cloves, squeezed from their papery skins. Puree until smooth. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and some black pepper as needed.
- Cook the pasta in salty water until al dente and drain. While pasta is cooking heat the artichoke hearts either in the microwave or in a small pan with a little olive oil for 2 minutes, until warm.
- In the same pot you cooked the pasta in (while it's still warm, but you've emptied it of all the water) add the pasta back in and stir in the spinach, artichokes hearts, and sauce. Place over a low heat until spinach is just wilted.
- Serve warm with more black pepper and red chili flakes.