Creamy Mushroom Gemelli
Cook Time: 30 MINUTES
Serves: 2-4 PEOPLE
- 1 box Banza Gemelli
- 2 tbsp butter, divided
- 8oz mushrooms (mix of shiitake, cremini etc.), thinly sliced (no bigger than gemelli)
- ½ yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 cup broth, vegetable or chicken
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Parsley, roughly chopped, for garnish
- Cook Banza: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add Banza Gemelli and cook according to package directions.
- Sauté Mushrooms: While pasta cooks, heat 1 tbsp butter and 3 tbsp olive oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Once butter is melted, add mushrooms and toss to coat. Cook, without stirring, for 5-7 minutes or until mushrooms begin to crisp up. Stir well, then cook for another 5 minutes without stirring, until mushrooms are golden all over. Remove from pan and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Make Sauce: Add remaining 1 tbsp butter, onion and garlic to pan from mushrooms and return to medium heat. Cook until onions are softened and garlic is fragrant, 3-4 minutes. Add broth and heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Cook, simmering, for 5-7 minutes, or until sauce has reduced by almost half.
- Finish Pasta: Remove from heat, add pasta and mushrooms, and toss to coat. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired. Garnish with parsley.
• Make it vegan—substitute heavy cream with full fat coconut milk, coconut cream, or cashew cream.
• Add dried thyme or chili flakes to the sauce for another layer of flavor and heat.
• Garnish with lemon zest and/or a light squeeze of lemon juice.
• In a rush or feeling lazy? Instead of removing the mushrooms, simply add the onions and garlic midway through their cook time and let everything simmer together. The mushrooms won’t get as crispy, but will still be delicious.
• Substitute leeks for the onions for an extra silky sauce.