Creamy Tomato, Kale & Basil Penne
Cook Time: 30 MINUTES
Serves: 2 to 4 PEOPLE
- 1 box Banza Penne
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup almond or other nut milk
- 2 cups shredded kale
- 1 handful fresh basil
- In a large pan or skillet with high sides, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and a generous pinch of salt and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until translucent and starting to soften. Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 more minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and another pinch of salt and bring the heat down to medium-low. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring once or twice. Stir in the cashew milk, then remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- At this stage you can leave it a little chunky as is, or blend which makes for a creamier sauce. Reserve half the sauce for another time in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for 3 months.
- Cook pasta in heavily salted water according to the package instructions. While the pasta is cooking, reheat sauce over medium-low and add shredded kale until it wilts, about 3-4 minutes.
- Once pasta is cooked through, toss with the sauce and top with fresh basil leaves and extra chili flakes to serve. Enjoy immediately.