Vegetarian Chickpea Pot Pie
This vegetarian chickpea pot pie is cozy, creamy, and perfect for any celebration!
Cook Time: 40 MINUTES
Serves: 4-6 PEOPLE
- 1 box Banza pizza crust (2 crusts)
- 1 leek, whites and light greens thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, cut into .5” pieces
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed & patted dry
- ¼ cup (4 tbsp) salted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp sage, rosemary, and/or thyme, finely chopped
- ¼ cup gluten free AP flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2.5 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup green peas
- Prepare ingredients: Preheat oven to 450°F. Set Banza pizza crusts out to thaw at room temperature.
- Saute Aromatics: Heat a large oven-safe high-sided pan over medium-high heat with 2 tbsp olive oil. When oil is shimmering, add leek, onion and carrot. Cook, stirring frequently until softened but not browned, 7-9 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Transfer veggies to a plate and set aside, reserving pan for next step.
- Crisp chickpeas: Return pan to medium-high heat with 2 tbsp olive oil. When oil is shimmering, add chickpeas. Cook without stirring until starting to crisp, about 3 minutes. Stir and continue to cook until light golden on all sides, 2-3 minutes more. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Make Sauce: Add butter to pan and return to medium heat. Once butter is melted, add garlic, herbs and flour. Whisk until mixture is smooth and flour is lightly toasted, 1-2 minutes. Slowly add milk, while still whisking, and then broth. Increase heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and continue to cook, whisking, until sauce is thickened by about half, another 5-6 minutes.
- Finish Sauce: Once sauce has thickened, remove from heat and gently fold in sautéed vegetables, chickpeas and green peas. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Top Pot Pie: Tear Banza crust into 2-3” pieces and layer over top of sauce, making sure all sauce is covered. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and place in oven.
- Bake Pot Pie: Bake until crust is golden brown and sauce is warmed through, about 15-20 minutes. Let cool slightly before slicing and serving.
Hacks/Recipe Notes: Leftover leek greens, carrot tops & herb stems can be bagged up and frozen for a future stock. You can brush the crust with egg wash (1 egg whisked with 1 tbsp water) for extra deep golden color! You can also skip crisping up the chickpeas and just mix them into the sauce with the peas.