Ziti with Summer Squash + Basil
- 1 box Banza Ziti
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 pound assorted summer squashes and zucchini, sliced lengthwise, in quarters
- Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 ounces Parmesan, grated (about ½ cup), plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup basil leaves, divided
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- Prepare Banza: Bring at least 8 cups of salted water to a rolling boil. Cook Banza Ziti for 9-11 minutes. Strain and rinse under cool water until pasta is cool. Set aside.
- Toast pine nuts: In a skillet on medium high heat, toast pine nuts until golden, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Make zucchini: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium. Cook garlic, stirring occasionally, until very lightly browned around the edges, about 4 minutes. Add squash and increase heat to medium high; season with salt. Cook, tossing occasionally, until squash begins to break down. Turn down heat once it begins sticking, and continue to cook until the squash is jammy and soft, 1215 minutes. Toss in 1 tsp. red pepper flakes.
- Combine: Transfer pasta to skillet with squash. Add 2 oz. Parmesan in stages along with pasta cooking liquid as needed, until sauce coats pasta and pasta is al dente. Toss in lemon juice and most of the basil. Divide pasta among bowls and top with more Parmesan, red pepper flakes, and remaining basil.