Banana Ketchup Hot Dog Pizza
As a kid growing up in the Philippines one of the treats we got during birthday parties was a pasta my brother and I called Pink Spaghetti. It was essentially a Spaghetti Bolonages made Filipino style using Banana Ketchup as a base (which colored the sauce a light pink) and then it was topped with hot dogs and a nice sprinkling of cheddar cheese.
I wanted to make it in pizza form, replacing the minced beef with minced mushrooms and walnuts in Banana Ketchup. It’s topped with slices of cheddar cheese and hot dogs (but this time they are vegan)! Right out of the oven more banana ketchup is drizzled on top with more shredded cheddar cheese. It’s a bite right into my childhood.
Cook Time: 20 MINUTES
Serves: 4 PEOPLE
- 2 Plain Banza Pizza Crusts
- 2 Cups Walnuts
- 1 Large Portobellow Mushroom Cut into Chunks
- 1/4 Red Onion Cut into small Chunks
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 Cup Banana Ketchup
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 4 Slices of Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Vegan Hot Dog Links Cut thinly
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Chives
- Extra Banana Ketchup for Drizzle
- Pre-heat: Set your oven to 400º F.
- Prepare the topping: Put the walnuts, mushroom, onion and garlic in a food processor. Pulse about 6-7 times until all the ingredients are minced, but not mushy.
- Cook the topping: In a large pan heat up the olive oil on medium heat until its shimmering. Add in the mushroom walnut mixture. Cook for 7 minutes until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms have lost its moister. Stir constantly too evenly cook. Take off the heat and add in the Banana Ketchup. Mix well.
- Top the crusts: Evenly divide between the pizza crusts smoothing until the boarder. Top each crust with 2 slices of cheddar cheese. Arrange the vegan hot dog slices on the top.
- Bake pizza: Place on the oven rack directly and bake for 10 minutes. Take the pizzas out of the oven and place on a serving platter. Drizzle with the extra banana ketchup and top with shredded cheddar cheese and chives.
If you don’t have a food processor, chop the mushrooms and walnuts very fine on a cutting board. Fine dice the onions and garlic.
You can purchase Banana Ketchup online.