Sweet Potato Baked Ziti
Cook Time: 50 MINUTES
Serves: 4 PEOPLE
- 1 box Banza penne
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 ½ cups diced sweet potato
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped sage, plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 1 quart baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Season with salt, it should taste like the sea. Cook pasta until aldente. (It will finish cooking in the oven.)
- Add oil to a medium saucepan. Heat to medium, add sweet potato and onion. Cook until sweet potato and onion are softened, about 8 minutes. Add onion, cook another minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add flour to sweet potato and onion. Toss until veggies are coated, cook 1 minute. Add in hot milk, chicken stock and salt. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Once the sauce has thickened, remove from heat, add in ½ cup parmesan cheese and sage. Stir until cheese has melted. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Add in cooked pasta, toss until combined.
- Transfer pasta mixture to prepared dish. Top with remaining cheese. Place on a cookie sheet and bake until cheese is melted, slightly golden brown and bubbly, about 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped sage.