Tomato Basil Cream Penne
- 1 box Banza penne
- 1/2 half & half or heavy cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 28-ounce can peeled San Marzano tomatoes
- 1/4 cup minced basil, plus extra for topping
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Empty the can of tomatoes into a large mixing bowl, and crush them with your hands. Add the chopped basil, thyme, bay leaf, a few big pinches of salt, and a few grinds of ground pepper. Let it sit and marinate while you cook the other ingredients.
- Heat a large lidded pot over medium heat, once hot, add the onion and stir, cook until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic to onion mixture and stir, cooking for ~1 minute. Then add the tomato sauce, increase the heat, and bring it to a rolling simmer. Cover. turn the heat down to low, and let the sauce simmer for 20 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened a bit.
- While the sauce simmers, cook and drain pasta according to instructions.
- Remove from sauce from heat, add in the cooked pasta, and stir in the cream. Top with extra basil.