Vegan Squash and Sage Rigatoni Alfredo
- 1 box Banza Rigatoni
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 fresh sage leaves, plus some smaller fresh ones to serve
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- ½ cup Califia Farms Almondmilk
- ¼ cup cashews, soaked in water for at least an hour then drained
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Toasted walnuts, roughly chopped to serve (optional)
- Roast the butternut squash: Heat the oven to 400°F. Lightly oil a baking tray and arrange butternut squash cubes out on it. Sprinkle with salt and pop in the oven. At the 20 minute mark, take out the tray, flip the cubes over with a spatula, sprinkle sage leaves over the butternut, and rotate the tray. Put it back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes until the butternut squash is golden brown and tender.
- While the butternut is roasting, make the sauce: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small pan over a medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant but not browning. Add Almondmilk and a generous pinch of salt and pepper and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally and cook for 3 minutes at a simmer. Remove from heat and transfer to a blender.
- Add cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and garlic powder to the blender and blend until completely smooth. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper as needed.
- Cook rigatoni according to package instructions. Drain and combine pasta with a few spoonfuls of sauce, tossing to combine. Fold in roasted butternut and crispy sage leaves, adding more sauce for desired consistency. Top with fresh sage leaves and toasted walnuts and enjoy immediately.