Roasted Vegetable Baked Ziti
Cook Time: 40 MINUTES
Serves: 6 PEOPLE
- 1 box Banza Ziti
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, cut into ¼” pieces
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 48oz marinara sauce
- 3 cups low moisture mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
- 4oz fresh mozzarella, torn into .25” pieces
- Basil, for garnish
- Sauté Aromatics: Preheat oven to 425°F. Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. When oil is shimmering add onion, garlic, zucchini and crushed red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt. Cook until softened, 5-7 minutes.
- Assemble Baked Ziti: In a 9x13 baking dish, combine dry Banza Ziti, sauteed aromatics, marinara sauce, and half the low moisture mozzarella. Stir to evenly coat all of the pasta with sauce.
- Bake Ziti: Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove foil, top pasta with fresh and low moisture mozzarella, then bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and melted. If you want the cheese to be golden, turn the oven on broil for 1-2 minutes, watching carefully as it cooks. Let cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing
• Because this is a no-boil recipe for the pasta, there is a lot of sauce to ensure the Banza is coated as it cooks through.
• Low moisture mozzarella will brown in a nice, light golden layer. The fresh mozzarella will melt more bright white, with a lot of stretch. Both add something different, which is why they’re great together. But if you only have one, it will still be great!
• Let the zucchini and aromatics sizzle in the pan without stirring for the first 3 minutes for crispier, more caramelized veggies.
• Substitute zucchini for a different veggie! Kale or summer squash would be delicious.
• Add ¼ cup harissa to the sauce for a shakshuka vibe. Crack a few eggs into the surface of the pasta before adding the rest of the cheese if you’re feeling wild.