- 1 box Banza penne
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a deep square or 7x9 baking dish.
- Heat a large sauce pan or skillet to a medium heat. Add olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook until onion and garlic are slightly softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, salt, sugar and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering, cook the penne to just under aldente. (It will finish cooking the oven)
- Spread 1/3 cup of sauce on the bottom of the pan. Spoon 1/3 of the pasta over the bottom. Top with half of the sauce and half of the cheese. Repeat.
- Cover with foil and bake until hot and the cheese is melted, about 20-25 minutes.