GOOD FOR: When it۪s 9AM and all you want is lasagna, your favorite cozy sweater is in the laundry, or you۪re too lazy to walk to your favorite BEC place.
- 1 lb. box Banza Lasagna noodles
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 12 oz. thick-sliced pancetta, cut into 1/4 in. pieces
- 2 medium shallots, halved, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 lb. ricotta cheese
- 4 oz. Fontina cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 2 oz. finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 Tbsp. thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp, coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- Place a rack in lower third of oven; preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly butter an 11x8 in. (2 qt.) glass or ceramic baking dish. Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the fat is rendered and pancetta is golden, ~8 - 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add shallots, and cook, stirring frequently until softened, ~5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer shallots and pancetta to a large bowl. Let cool slightly, then stir in ricotta Fontina, and Parmesan.
- Pour off fat and return skillet to medium-high heat. Add thyme, then pour in cream, scraping up browned bits stuck to bottom of pan. Bring to a simmer; season with salt + pepper. Remove from heat.
- Dollop with one-quarter of cheese mixture and top with another layer of noodles. Repeat three more times with the remaining filling and noodles, ending with a layer of noodles (you'll have several leftover). Pour cream mixture over. Shake pan gently to distribute and press with a spatula to compact slightly. Bake lasagna until golden, about 40 minutes.
- Crack eggs into individual bowls. Dig a spoon into lasagna, going about halfway down to make a well. Repeat to create 3 more. Gently drop 1 egg into each well. Cover with foil and continue to bake until egg whites are just set, ~5 - 7 minutes longer. Let sit 15 minutes before serving.
This recipe is adapted from the original recipe in Lasagna! by Anna Hezel.