Creamy Vegan Tomato Penne
- 1 box Banza penne
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 28-ounce can peeled San Marzano tomatoes
- 1/4 cup minced basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Place soaked cashews and vegetable broth in a high-speed blender and blend on high for a few minutes, until creamy. Season with salt and pepper. If the "cream" is too think, add water 1 tbsp at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Empty the can of tomatoes into a large mixing bowl, and crush them with your hands. Add the chopped basil, thyme, bay leaf, sugar, a few big pinches of salt, and a few grinds of ground pepper. Let it sit and marinate while you cook the other ingredients.
- Heat a large lidded pot over medium heat, once hot, add the onion and stir, cook until
- the onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir, cook for 1 minute. Then
- add the tomato sauce mixture, increase the heat and bring it to rolling simmer. Cover. turn the heat
- down to low, and let the sauce simmer for 20 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened a bit.
- While the sauce simmers, cook and drain pasta according to instructions.
- Remove from sauce from heat and the cooked pasta and stir in 1/2 cup of cashew cream.