One Pot Sharp Cheddar Stovetop Mac & Cheese
Is it mac & cheese, mac and cheese, mac n’ cheese, or macaroni and cheese? Whatever it’s called, this gooey stovetop mac is the ultimate side dish.
Cook Time: 20 MINUTES
Serves: 6 PEOPLE
- 2 boxes Banza shells, or any shape that grabs sauce
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 5 tbsp gluten free all purpose flour
- 2 ¾ cups whole or 2% milk, room temperature
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar, freshly grated
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- Cook Banza: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add Banza and cook according to package directions. Strain, rinse, and set aside, reserving pot for next step.
- Make Sauce: Add butter to pot from pasta and place over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add flour and whisk until flour disappears and clumps, 1-2 minutes. Pour in milk and 1 tsp salt. Increase heat to medium-high and bring the sauce to a simmer, whisking constantly until it thickens, 2-3 minutes more.
- Finish Sauce: Remove from heat and mix in white cheddar and Parmesan cheese. Taste and season with salt and fresh cracked pepper. Fold in the cooked Banza and gently toss to coat.